Thursday, February 24, 2005

my take on Lost in Translation

First of all, I know, I know... I am fully aware how mistimed is my critical outburst at the movie that came out more than a year ago and has generated so much feedback since. There's been 132 entries at the IMBD so far.
yet, being a little bit self-congrulatory, I daresay I've got something to add to the discussion.
I watched this movie a while ago and it left me cool. I didn't dislike it nor I thought it was brilliant. However, only now I've come to realize what didn't bode well to me - the leading female character played by Scarlett Johansson. I thought she didn't quite fit the profile because of being not beautiful enough. Seriously, her name suggest a Scandinavian background and her face - somewhat rough fully corresponds to the sad reality that perfect looking Swedish blondes is mostly a fiction.
I am used to Slavic girls and in Russia, nobody would call her beautiful. She's kinda cute and does convey an aura of innocence which is a right juxtoposition to Murray's deadpan shtick but only in America such girls are headturners. I'd imagine that a more glamorous looking lady might've been more appropriate for the role. I don't mean that some vacuous babe should've been cast instead, mind you. But IMHO, there is a definite lack of glamour in Johansson to believe the plot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home