Friday, June 04, 2004

Canadian elections: a personal observation.


For those of you who reside outside of the Great White North, Canada is in the midst of an election fever. In practice, it means countless article in newspapers, musing of analysts on CBC, special 'election buses' travelin' 'cost to cost' and so on.
I will undoubtedly post more on the subject in the near future, but right now I want to go back to the year 2000 when I, fresh of the boat :-), had an opportunity to seek a real democracy in motion (this pathos is approriate given the fact that the elections in Russia I had a chance to partake in were well, 'Russian-style' to say the least).

So, once I asked my landlord, a buffy, nerdy guy in his middle thirties who is going to vote for. He put up that special face, trying to look smart and sound authoritative and said something like this:

Well, I don't know yet but for sure I am not voting for the [separatist]Block (Quebecue)for they want to destroy mu country....



Indeed, the Block stands for separation that is why it runs candidates only... well, only Quebec so my landlord couldn't have voted for it anyway since said conversation took place in Edmonton, Alberta :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home