Wednesday, December 07, 2005

situational humour

Mark Steyn points out rather obvious:

As to what planet Mr Bush is on, he's not on Pluto but on planet Goofy, a strange lost world where it's perfectly normal for apparently sane people to walk around protesting about global warming in sub-zero temperatures. Or, as the Canadian Press reported: "Montreal - tens of thousands of people ignored frigid temperatures Saturday to lead a worldwide day of protest against global warming."" [emphasis mine]


I know, I know and can hear those voices accusing me and that rabid fanatical neo-con guru of mine :-) of being simplistic and not understanding that global warming is all about long term trends rather than momentary occurrances. Therefore it's perfectly sane and sensible to protest it while "battling frigid temperatures". Yet, I do think the irony is still potent here - after all, didn't you notice how the news on GW gain prominence at times when weather is warmer than usual. I got exactly that impression two years ago when Edmonton had no snow in December up until Christmas. There was a lot, and I mean - a lot, of talk on global warming. Which seemed to have disappeared instantly once, after New Year as I recall, the temperature hit -30 all of a sudden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home