Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Liberal party leadership race: it can't get any better than this

CTV reports:
David Orchard mulls run at Liberal leadership

Updated Mon. Mar. 27 2006 11:33 PM ET

Canadian Press

OTTAWA — Saskatchewan farmer and two-time Tory leadership hopeful David Orchard is thinking about leaping into the Liberal race.

"What I'm really doing right now is taking calls. I certainly had not been considering it, but calls kept coming so I kept answering them and listening to what people have to say,'' Orchard said in an interview.

"I'm not ruling anything in or anything out.''


In my table of ranks, this guy would be just a notch behind Belinda Stronach. In fact, I'm not even sure about that.
I guess that's what happens to the Natural Governing Party once it's put out of the business of governing.
On a more serious note, it's sad really - that the Liberals now have to deal with this guy. But it's not just about them - the very fact that Mr. Orchard can 'mull' his chances reveals one of the most glaring and disturbing deficiencies of the Westminister system - namely that established political parties are potentically vulnerable to hijacking by an outsider with a small, but dedicated, group of followers.

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Wise G said...

That's it. Keep on arrogantly puffing up the Cons and dismissing the Libs. Like I said before, it amazes me how quickly the Cons have come to assume they'll be holding on to power indefinitely. The reality is the electorate is giving the Cons a test drive. Yeah the Lib name is sullied at the moment, but most Canadians still find their policy more palatable than that of the Cons. This Con arrogance and complacency can only benefit the Libs in the end.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Oleksa said...

Akeel, I think you've misunderstood me and/or greatly simplified my point of view. Except from the schadefreude-like headline that clearly, I admit :-), conveys my personal bias, the post message is not about dismissing the Libs - rather it was an attempt to point out one of the ugly sides of the Westminister system which permits the existence of political opportunists such as David Orchard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home